[U-Boot-Users] Running u-boot from Flash itself

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 14 22:21:44 CET 2006

In message <1defaf580611140302h3d2717f2o8ad840390d64c897 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Actually, the avr32/atstk1000 port does run directly from flash. It
> sets up different VMA and LMA addresses for the writable sections in
> the linker scripts and copies the data section from flash to RAM in
> the early startup code.
>
> Flash programming is handled by putting certain functions into a
> .flashprog section which is loaded into the icache and locked.
>
> As for the usefulness of it....well, I'm quite frankly not sure. It

Arghhhhh.... you really don't want to do that. At least I don't want
you to do that.

May I please ask you to change the AVR code such that it works the
same way as U-Boot works on all other architectures?

I don't want to have  such  a  divergence  in  design  philosophy.  I
apologize  that  I  did  not  notice  this  earlier  (so I could have
rejected this code right from the beginning).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A bore is someone who persists in holding his own views after we have
enlightened him with ours.