[U-Boot-Users] 16BIT SPANSION Flash writing problem with CFI Driver

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Fri Nov 17 17:40:50 CET 2006

Sam,

There is not enough information from your email. Still, I have a few
comments.

Sam Song wrote:

> MPC8548E_Rev1.1=> save
> Saving Environment to Flash...
> Un-Protected 1 sectors
> Erasing Flash...
> . done
> Erased 1 sectors
> Writing to Flash...

Did you verify that you have correct data in environment after save? Try
changing something in environment (or add a dummy environment variable)
and save and check.

> Bank # 1: CFI conformant FLASH (16 x 16)  Size: 8 MB
> in 128 Sectors
>  Erase timeout 16384 ms, write timeout 0 ms, buffer
> write timeout 4096 ms, buffer size 32

Looks like your flash part does not support single word writes via
conventional interface (write timeout is 0). It must use buffered
writes. Did you enable buffer writes? You probably did but just double
checking...

> It seems that ENV saving operation is OK but not
> work for a big file like 600K programming. It
> just hanged there forever.

Did you enable debug? What was the exact command you used to copy data
to flash. Did you use cp.b or just cp? If you used cp did you use the
length in bytes or words (note that cp is equivalent to cp.l)

> What could be the problem be? I use the CFI driver
> from GIT repository on Nov. 2.

I recently submitted a patch for AMD style flashes but it addresses top
boot flash geometry reversal. Your flash is uniform sectored. So, it is
not necessary.

Best regards,
Tolunay