[U-Boot-Users] RFC: flattened device tree command

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Wed Nov 29 15:40:46 CET 2006

On 11/29/06, Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com> wrote:
> The linux kernel has its own library functions for
> handling flat device trees.  In addition, David Gibson has proposed
> another library (advertised as easier to use):
> <http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2006-November/028596.html>
>
> My RFC has two parts:
> 1) Peoples' opinion of the relative merits of the current u-boot support
> library vs. the kernel's library vs. David Gibson's library.  My limited
> experience with ft_build.c is that it is suboptimal.  I don't have any
> experience with the linux or David's libraries to form an opinion of them.

There has already been talk about replacing ft_build w/ Greer's
library, there just hasn't been anyone to do the work.  I agree that
using a common code base between the various fdt tools is a good idea.
 Personally, I haven't looked deep into either Greer's or Gibson's
implementations yet, so I can't weigh in on which one I like best.

> 2) I see more commands than just dumping the tree, allowing the user to
> manipulate the tree as well.  My current thoughts are to make a new
> command "fdt" (flattened device tree - the Open Firmware genesis appears
> to be depricated) with subcommands like the existing "mii" command.

This is a good idea, and would be quite useful

> fdt read <node> - does what my "oftdump" command does
> fdt write <node> <value> - allow patching the fdt
>    * Writing could get pretty complex with creating nodes
>    * Initial implementation would be simply to change existing values

If the library API is good, adding new nodes/parameters shouldn't be
any more complex than modifying existing nodes.  The command format
would also need to be well defined.

> Related to the above discussion, the current ft_build.c/"bootm" code
> takes the blob and augments it with board configuration and env stuff as
> part of the "bootm" command.  The implementation is suboptimal
> (ft_build.c again) in that it is only done as a last thing before
> "bootm" transfers to linux, making it (almost) impossible to dump and
> definitely impossible to interactively poke around in the resulting fdt.
>   I would like to see this integrated done better in u-boot rather than
> simply pasted onto the fdt at the last moment before jumping into linux.

I agree

> So, in conclusion,
> 1) I'm not sure if this is truly a RFC or just a brain dump of my
> current thoughts.  Either way, advice is welcome.

Good thoughts, I agree

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.