[U-Boot-Users] Can I write to flash using mw command

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Thu Oct 5 23:50:46 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 14:03 -0700, bilahari akkiraju wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
>   Stuff works fine using U-boot's cfi. I can protect
> and erase using appropriate commands (protect and
> erase )  provided by the u-boot. I do not know if
> there is a u-boot command to write to flash.
>
> My flinfo command shows this :
>
>  bank # 1: CFI conformant FLASH (32 x 16)  Size: 16 MB
> in 128 Sectors
>  Erase timeout 16384 ms, write timeout 0 ms, buffer
> write timeout 4096 ms, buffe2
>   Sector Start Addresses:
>
>     FF000000      FF020000      FF040000      FF060000
>      FF080000
>     FF0A0000      FF0C0000      FF0E0000      FF100000
>      FF120000
This is odd.  The GL064 is either 32x8 or 16x16, and has either 128x64kB
or 127x64kB + 8x8kB sector layout.  Yours appears to have 128 uniform
sectors of 128kB each.  Either you're not using the part you think you
are or my documentation is out of date.

>  I am trying low level access because I am writing my
> own flash utilities which are independent of U-boot
> and hence have to directly deal with right command
> sequences.

If your utilities are independent of U-boot then your request is
off-topic.  Since the CFI driver is working, you're missing something in
the sequence of commands being written to flash.  I've done it before
manually via BDI-2000, and although the Spansion documentation is
cryptic, it's technically correct.  Sorry I can't help more right now
but work beckons...

Also, please copy the U-boot mailing list when corresponding.

regards,
Ben