[U-Boot-Users] howto use diskboot with ppcboot?

Gerald Dachs gda at gmx.de
Fri Oct 6 14:51:39 CEST 2006

The following mail I sent some days ago is still unanswered. The author
of the sources I refere to is one of the most active posters on the list,
so I believe the answers to my questions are know. I assume that it got
unanswered, because it is answered already somewhere else. I would be glad
to get any pointer or link that help me with this, because the searches I
did before I wrote the first mail didn't help me.

Yes, I have read "How to ask smart questions", but maybe I didn't learn
from it, and I am not whining :)

Thanks

Hi,

I want to boot an alternative kernel on my NAS with minimal changes to the
flash. I suppose this could be possible by using diskboot. My problem is
now that I am very new to the bootloader problematic and the documentation
for ppcboot is rather short and the documentation for uboot seems not to
fit. From
the sources of the diskboot command I understand that it expects a dos
partition and reads continuous blocks from this partition. Does this mean
I need a dos partition and have to write the kernel image with dd to it?
It doesn't look like it supports the dos filesystem, or is the dos fs
really so simple? But if it is not using the dos fs, why has the partition
to be of type
dos?

Hopefully I didn't make myself a fool and overlooked the obvious.

Gerald