[U-Boot-Users] What's the status on erasing a nand flash with bad blocks?

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Fri Oct 6 17:11:44 CEST 2006

Stefan Roese wrote:
> When I remember correctly, Wolfgang was a little hesitantly to accept any
> changes to this code, because it was taken directly from the Linux MTD code.
> But as Ladislav Michl (the original comitter of the new NAND code) stated,
> this is because the erase is normally done from the mtd-utils package:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/23621
>
> I would suggest that we change the current U-Boot code, so that erasing
> doesn't stop at bad blocks anymore, but skips them and prints a message, like
> the linux flash_eraseall utility:
>
> "Skipping bad block at 0x%08x"

Last time we discussed this on the list I suggested we only print a
summary at the end instead of for each skipped block. Summary would
state how many bad blocks skipped during operation in all. We have
another command to list the bad blocks (AFAIK) if one is interested at all.

Best regards,
Tolunay