[U-Boot-Users] U-boot and kernel

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 7 22:45:12 CEST 2006

Dear Gerald,

in message <A7C98E37A5710946908EEC7C796A7442012F2E at mainserver.reaonix.com> you wrote:

> Thanks for your response.  Since is not a u-boot problem I am  going to
> post this on the kernel list.

Don't ignore Stefan's hint.

He wrote:

> IIRC you have to configure your kernel differently when you are using more
> than 768MBytes (setup highmem...).

BTW: please read http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

This is probably not a bug, but a configuration issue.  Actually  the
problem  you've seen is caused by the standard configuration of Linux
on (32 bit) PowerPC systems; Normally you can use only use 0x30000000
(768MB) RAM (lowmem); if you need more you have to change your kernel
configuration, including shifting the kernel start address.

On your system, the following config options might fix the problem:

CONFIG_ADVANCED_OPTIONS=y
CONFIG_LOWMEM_SIZE_BOOL=y
CONFIG_LOWMEM_SIZE=0x40000000
CONFIG_KERNEL_START_BOOL=y
CONFIG_KERNEL_START=0xa0000000
# CONFIG_CONSISTENT_START_BOOL is not set
# CONFIG_CONSISTENT_SIZE_BOOL is not set
# CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD_BOOL is not set

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity  when  it  comes  to
using technology they don't understand.