[U-Boot-Users] Can I write to flash using mw command

bilahari bilahari_akkiraju at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 00:17:34 CEST 2006

Hi, Jerry,

    Took your advice on flash addresses I should put
into my command sequences with my current flash
configuration (2 16-bit spansion s29GL064M chips
interleaved to form 32-bit flash system). You pointed me
to the right direction, thanks. Although I couldnt
succeed in manual manipulation of flash, I am able to
do it programatically (I downloaded a free low level driver
provided by spansion and used it with my code). And it
works fine, just like u-boot driver (cfi_flash.c). For anyone
interested here is the link
http://www.spansion.com/support/drivers_software/index.html

   But one thing that doesnt work with my code and also
with u-boot is that if I want to write two different
values to the same flash locationconsecutively
( for example when I try to write 0x12 to flash address
0xff000000 and then write 0x34 to same flash address,
u-boot gives me a message "flash not erased".
My driver makes the program simply loop forever in a status
register polling loop, I guess).

Is it something natural with flash programming ?.
Should I always erase the whole sector before I re-program
a location ? (doesnt sound like a good approach to me),
is it not possible to write consecutively as with
the conventional memory?

Thanks for the help and the directions

Bilahari