[U-Boot-Users] Adding new commands

Ulf Samuelsson ulfs at dof.se
Mon Oct 16 20:09:39 CEST 2006

Andreas Schweigstill wrote:
> Dear llandre!
>
> llandre schrieb:
>> #define CFG_CMD_NEW1 0x8000000000000000ULL
>> #define CFG_CMD_NEW2 ???
>>
>> IIUC we have 64 bits available for the commands and 63 commands are
>> already defined. So how to define more than 64 commands?
>
> This is indeed a big problem which will occur to nearly every
> developer who implements new commands. CFG_CMD_* and CONFIG_COMMANDS
> are only used for preprocessor evaluation; they don't seem to be used
> in object code. But they rely on the ULL (unsigned long long int)
> type; I don't think that there is something like a 128bit type which
> can be used directly for logical AND operations.
>
> For new command there could be used another macro like
> CONFIG_COMMANDS2 and CFG_CMD2_* for the configuration values.

The number of options is growing all the time.
Maybe it would be a good idea to adopt the Kconfig system.
Wolfgang does not like to have a lot of files like they do in the kernel
but you do not have to split it up like they do it in the kernel.
You could have a single Config.in file.

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
ulf at atmel.com