[U-Boot-Users] flash driver in u-boot

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Tue Oct 17 01:42:12 CEST 2006

Reeve Yang wrote:
> I'm a little confused by flash driver selection in u-boot. My flash
> device is intel JS28F128J3, I assume it's not CFI flash so I want to use

Intel 28F128J3 is a CFI compliant flash chip.

> strataflash.c. I added such file under my board directory, add it into
> Makefile, and undef CFG_FLASH_CFI_DRIVER, but I got link error. If

strataflash.c driver is a pre-cursor to common cfi_flash.c. Most boards
are reworked to use the cfi_flash.c. To use strataflash.c you also had
to define CFG_FLASH_CFI_DRIVER (as far as my memory serves). There is no
reason to use a custom flash driver nowadays unless your flash is
interfaced to the processor bus in a very unusual way (like data bus
scrambled -- hardware design bugs)

> define this macro, the compilation is ok and my flash works. My question
> is, if we define this macro, which flash driver being used? cfi_flash.c
> or my strataflash.c?

Use cfi_flash.c

Tolunay