[U-Boot-Users] Newbie questions

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Thu Sep 14 23:07:27 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm totally new to embedded linux/uboot, but I've been doing embedded work
for going on 12 years so I'm not a total putz.  We're working on early
stages of design and I've been asked a couple of questions that I can't
really answer.  I don't need to know HOW to do these just yet (can figure
that out later), I just need to know if it's possible to do.  And before
you ask I am RTFMing, I just don't have a lot of time to come up with
answers to these questions and they're not jumping out of the FM at me.
So:

1) Will u-boot support a compact flash device on the local bus of an
MPC8347 (we would like to get u-boot from a small I2C EEPROM and
everything else including the kernel from a large compact flash device)?
2) Is it possible to connect to u-boot's "console" from an enet port or
can it only be accessed from a serial port?  If it can, I presume it can
then be used to load new versions of u-boot just like the serial port?
(The reason for this is there may not be a serial port available in the
final design for the customer to use for field upgrades and we're
concerned about being able to upgrade u-boot if we need to ship a fix for
it in the future.)

Thanks in advance.

Bruce Leonard
Schweitzer Engineering Labs
This e-mail may contain SEL confidential or
legally privileged information.  The opinions
expressed are not necessarily those of SEL.
Any unauthorized disclosure, distribution or
other use is prohibited.  If you received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender,
permanently delete it, and destroy any
printed copies.