[U-Boot-Users] GPL 2 "or later" concern

Alex Zeffertt ajz at cambridgebroadband.com
Tue Sep 19 14:56:41 CEST 2006

Andy Green wrote:

> Because the hardware is fixed, and the special nature of what U-boot
> does, a workaround for me might be to never update U-boot, but obviously
> that is less than fully desirable.  That way we ship U-boot in the
> flash, provide sources for it, but never distribute a signed update
> avoiding the proposed potential problem.

I know this doesn't relate to your original question about licences, but
it would seem to me that distributing u-boot updates is *very* risky.  One
slip and every customer could be sending you back dead units in the post.

If you make sure before you sell that u-boot can boot a kernel, and upgrade
the kernel (without assuming a working kernel is present) you won't need to
support u-boot upgrades.

Alex