[U-Boot-Users] howto use diskboot with ppcboot?

Gerald Dachs gda at gmx.de
Fri Sep 29 15:45:12 CEST 2006

Hi,

I want to boot an alternative kernel on my NAS with minimal changes to the
flash. I suppose this could be possible by using diskboot. My problem is now
that I am very new to the bootloader problematic and the documentation for
ppcboot is rather short and the documentation for uboot seems not to fit.
From
the sources of the diskboot command I understand that it expects a dos
partition and reads continuous blocks from this partition. Does this mean I
need a dos partition and have to write the kernel image with dd to it? It
doesn't look like it supports the dos filesystem, or is the dos fs really so
simple? But if it is not using the dos fs, why has the partition to be of
type
dos?

Hopefully I didn't make myself a fool and overlooked the obvious.

Gerald