[U-Boot-Users] ECC testing/error injection

vb vb at vsbe.com
Wed Apr 4 03:35:34 CEST 2007

Gentlemen,

browsing the docs in the root directory reveals very little, and the
list archives don't seem to be available on sourceforge, so I am
asking the questions here.

I am trying to enable the ECC feature on an 8541 platform, which uses
DDR SDRAM. I noticed that there are config flags available just for
that: CONFIG_DDR_ECC and CONFIG_DDR_ECC_CMD, used in a few platforms
(my port is based on 1.1.6):

# grep CONFIG_DDR_ECC include/configs/*h|grep define
include/configs/MPC8349EMDS.h:#define CONFIG_DDR_ECC_CMD
 /* use DDR ECC user commands */
include/configs/MPC8540ADS.h:#define CONFIG_DDR_ECC
 /* only for ECC DDR module */
include/configs/MPC8541CDS.h:#define CONFIG_DDR_ECC
 /* only for ECC DDR module */
include/configs/MPC8548CDS.h:#define CONFIG_DDR_ECC
 /* only for ECC DDR module */
include/configs/MPC8555CDS.h:#define CONFIG_DDR_ECC
 /* only for ECC DDR module */
include/configs/MPC8560ADS.h:#define CONFIG_DDR_ECC
 /* only for ECC DDR module */
include/configs/MPC8641HPCN.h:#define CONFIG_DDR_ECC
 /* only for ECC DDR module */
include/configs/PM854.h:#define CONFIG_DDR_ECC                  /*
only for ECC DDR module */
include/configs/PM856.h:#define CONFIG_DDR_ECC                  /*
only for ECC DDR module */

intersetingly enough, the only platform which has a CLI command to
demonstrate ECC functionality (MPC8349EMDS has CONFIG_DDR_ECC_CMD
defined) does not have CONFIG_DDR_ECC defined.

I moved the CLI command code from  board/mpc8349emds/mpc8349emds.c
into the common directory and modified it to work with both 83xx and
85xx memory configuration registers' layouts.

The thing is that I can't make the ECC errors injection to work,
rather, I can't get any ECC errors reported. So, a few questions:

- how do I find out  if there was any documentation associated with
the CLI command implementation contribution in
board/mpc8349emds/mpc8349emds.c?

- have anyone tested ECC implementation on any 85XX platform which
have the flag defined. How did you test it, if so?

any input/hints would be highly appreciated,

cheers,
Vadim