[U-Boot-Users] Warning for mpc8360emds users: fdt-cmd from u-boot-fdt.git

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Wed Apr 4 17:46:21 CEST 2007

Jerry Van Baren wrote:

> As a result, if you pull an update from the master u-boot repository,
> you will get the new fdt command, libfdt support, *and modified bootm*
> command.  While this shouldn't be a bad thing, it *is not* backward
> compatible with CONFIG_OF_FLAT_TREE.

I'm a little confused.  CONFIG_OF_FLAT_TREE is needed to boot any powerpc kernel.  Are you
saying that the two options are mutually exclusive?  Shouldn't CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT be a
subset (instead of an alternative) to CONFIG_OF_FLAT_TREE?  That is, you need to define
CONFIG_OF_FLAT_TREE in order for CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT to be recognized?

Maybe I should have been paying more attention to your libfdt work, but I was assuming you
were just going to alter the back-end handling of OF trees, not break existing code.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale