[U-Boot-Users] Using CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 01:52:47 CEST 2007

I've added the following Important Safety Tips to the u-boot-fdt status page
   <http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot/UBootFdtInfo>
based on feedback from Jon Diekema (thanks, Jon):

* Need to use the latest device tree compiler (dtc) to generate a
Version 17 blob
   * libfdt needs V17 in order to write to the blob

* Need to specify a size with fdt addr
   * By default, the blob has the minimum necessary size for its
compiled content. This means there is no room to add a "chosen" (or
other) node.

* Using CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT modifies bootm so that it does not
auto-generate nodes ("chosen", "u-boot-env", and "bd_t") when it runs.
With CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT, the boot script or the user must use the sequence:
   * fdt addr command to set the blob address
   * fdt chosen to generate/augment the chosen node
   * fdt env to generate the u-boot-env node (optional)
   * fdt bd_t to generate the bd_t node (optional)

Bear with me, we'll get this smoothed out...
gvb