[U-Boot-Users] Kernel Panic

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 11 17:58:22 CEST 2007

In message <41483bfe0704110720o1a8b1c1t737e740b5dce63a7 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I get the message kerenl panic. with the statement no Init found.

Did you actually read the kernel messages???

> mem=64M root=dev/ram0 console=ttyAMA1,112500n8

So you are booting with a ramdisk as root file system. hwat has all
your description of NAND and JFFS2 to do with this?

> ## Booting image at 00100000 ...
>    Image Name:   linux kernel
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    1299204 Bytes =  1.2 MB
>    Load Address: 00080000
>    Entry Point:  00080000
> OK
>    Image Name:   Linux RAMDISK File System
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    1544489 Bytes =  1.5 MB
>    Load Address: 00000000
>    Entry Point:  00000000

You boot with a ramdisk image.

> Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 console=ttyAMA1,115200n8 mem=64M init=/sbin/init

THe kernel is told to use a ramdisk and to start /sbin/init

> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).

The kernel succesfully mounts the ramdisk image.

> Failed to execute /sbin/init.  Attempting defaults...
> Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

And it tells you that it does not find /sbin/init in your ramdisk.

What is so difficult to understand here?

And why are you posting this on the U-Boot mailing list?  This  is  a
Linux  kernel  problem (well, actually it's probably a PEBKAC) and as
such off topic here.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of.
                                                        - Ogden Nash