[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configure network parameters

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Fri Apr 20 22:55:22 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 15:40 -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> > U-Boot has  a number of network parameters like
> >
> > CONFIG_HOSTNAME
> > CONFIG_IPADDR
> > CONFIG_GATEWAYIP
> > CONFIG_NETMASK
> > etc.
> >
> > While these can be defined in an "include/configs/<board>.h",
> > it would be nice to be able to define this in a separate file
> > since they are really not board specific.
>
> I agree that these don't belong in the board config file.  In fact, I don't see why they
> should be board-specific at all.  The U-Boot code in denx.de should have a config.h
> somewhere that specifies these, but we should probably not encourage board maintainers to
> have their own versions.

If these network parameters really need default values, it's probably
better to initialize environment variables using
CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS, or something like that.  I expect that almost
every board that U-boot gets loaded on will have these values
overwritten anyway to fit in whatever network it ends up in.

regards,
Ben