[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configure networkparameters

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Apr 21 00:59:59 CEST 2007

In message <027c01c78394$16500590$01c4af0a at Glamdring> you wrote:

> Why should you care if the customer sets a configuration value at compile
> time or dynamically?

I don't care about this.

> By setting things at compile time, you allow the board to boot up,
> download a script which gets executed by "autoscr"
> This script will sets the REAL values for the network.
> Obviously the values should only be used until manually changed.

OK, in such a configuration you can  add  the  values  to  the  board
config file, as there is no need to change them frequently, right?

> Not sure, if this is your problem.

No.

> Assume you have no serial communication available...
> How do you reconfigure the system?

We are not talking about reconfiguration, but about how to initialize
the default environment. These are two different things.

> Can you explain how to download the environment using the network
> if you are not allowed to compile in the network parameters?

You don't have to download such parameters.

Please  feel  free  to  set  these  values  somewhere  during   board
production,  but  you  better  not embed them into the default U-Boot
image. There are several methods to initialize such parameters  which
are much cleaner. For example, some boards use some hardware ID block
which  gets  written separately from the U-Boot image, which then can
contain board specific parameters like serial  number,  MAC  address,
and - if you like - additional default netowrk configuration.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod.