[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configurenetwork parameters

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Apr 21 01:12:12 CEST 2007

In message <028f01c78396$318ebe80$01c4af0a at Glamdring> you wrote:

> I think everyone so far is missing the point.

Maybe.

> My proposal is just to allow the u-boot developer to customize his/her build
> with environment variables generated outside the u-boot source tree.

Understood.

My position is that it is a bad thing to built any  information  from
outside the U-Boot source tree into the U-Boot image.

If you need different images, you  are  doing  something  wrong.  The
varying  information  should  be  handled outside the (then constant)
U-Boot image.

> If you have a board with multiple memories, and you can store
> you environment in all of them, then you can use this function to
> define where the environment is instead of having multiple board files.
> It is really a pin to maintain multiple board files for this purpose alone.

Now this is a completely new topic. So far  you  were  talking  about
network parameter settings, now it's multiple memories.

Can we please keep these things separated?

Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth  and  Know-
ledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."  - Albert Einstein