[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configure networkparameters

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Apr 21 02:25:41 CEST 2007

In message <02cc01c783a4$3a489920$01c4af0a at Glamdring> you wrote:

> Why do you need to separate something which NEVER is going to be written
> again?

I don't.

> There is a cost involved with doing multiple programming steps and those
> should be minimized.

I never said anything about multiple programming steps.  Please  feel
free  to  attach your hardware information block (or whatever you are
going to call it) at the end of the U-Boot image (using "cat" or "dd"
or similar) or insert it into some known to be unused area or ...

> And still: The proposed patch will not do anything with network parameters
> It will allow people to generate whatever config variables outside U-boot.

Right. And this is something I consider a bad thing.  The  configura-
tion  of U-Boot shall be done in U-Boot, and visible to everybody who
sees the U-Boot source code.

Last but not least, this is also a GPL issue.

> How they use this, you will not be aware of so I really do not understand
> why you are against the patch.

Just because of this: because I am not aware what people insert  into
GPLed code.

> The patch has really nothing to do with networking,

But that was your introduction for it, wasn't it?

> Are you against giving developers freedom?

Are you against making your changes available under GPL?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10%  takes
the other 90% of the time.