[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configure networkparameters

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Sun Apr 22 23:38:54 CEST 2007

> I agree, but if every board has the same flash image, how do we specify
> a different MAC address for each one?

Shipping

>> Ulf was (originally) asking for a customization feature; of course it
>> makes sense to customize boards during production, for example to set
>> board-specific values for MAC address, serial number, etc.  But  this
>> can, and should, be done without creating different U-Boot images.

I do not expect any person to need more than one image, and
I do not expect that two different companies does not need to have
exactly the same image as other companies.

I do not plan to deliver binaries, only source,. so noone will be able to
use this
without rebuilding the u-boot.
Anyone not modifying the configuration files will get the "default" binary.
Anyone not explictly running the "defenv" command will not see any of the
configuration created using buildroot.

> I don't see how.  Not every company has a manufacturing process that
> allows that.  This is especially true for reference boards, which aren't
> supposed to be used in a public environment anyway.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson                ulf at atmel.com
Atmel Nordic AB
Mail:  Box 2033, 174 02 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Visit:  Kavallerivägen 24, 174 58 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Phone +46 (8) 441 54 22     Fax +46 (8) 441 54 29
GSM    +46 (706) 22 44 57