[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configure networkparameters

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 23 12:50:30 CEST 2007

In message <1177320294.4872.95.camel at elrond.sweden.atmel.com> you wrote:

> > It's good that we have an agreement here. This is exactly what I
> > proposed to you a couple of times before.
>
> AFAIK; U-Boot currently do not support this,

Yes,  of  course  it  does.  Just  configure  your  board  that  your
environment  sector(s) is (are) directly adjacent to the U-Boot image
(i. e. after it on ARM). U-Boot does not care where  the  code  comes
from. You just need a small tool to create the environment image; the
code in tools/env/ needs only minimal tweaking to do this.

> and the method still does not support reverting to factory defaults.

Right. For this purpose, it's much better to use a script image which
is placed in a flash sector, so you can run a  'autoscr"  command  to
install the default settings.

But I'm repeating myself. I described all of this before. Several
times actually.

> If someone implements this, I'd be happy to adopt it,

Go for it. It's all at your hands. Just use it.

> I am not going to do that work though.

No work needs to be done.

Please try to understand that you are not the  first  one  who  needs
such  features, and that solutions already exist. The are just diffe-
rent from your proposed patch, but IMHO that does  not  automatically
mean that they are worse or less powerful.

> The goal of the patch is to be able to define U-boot
> environment variables outside the <board>.h files.

I described at least two different ways to solve this problem without
changing the U-Boot code.

> Due to lack of good configuration in u-boot,
> I have selected to generate the needed configuration
> in buildroot, but I am sure that other build systems
> like ptxdist/Eclipse could use the same.

Configuration is a different issue than setting up the environment.

> A furster restriction, is that I do not want the user
> to use hard to understand packages like "expect"
> to configure the board.

We were talking about the initial installation of the software during
production. Also, the user does not need much understanding to use  a
script  you  give to him. Actually the buildroot code you use is much
more complicated than the required expect script would  be.  If  your
user  is  supposed  to  be  clever  enought  o  run buildrot, then he
isprobably also clever enough to  run  another  script  (which  might
actually be integrated in your build / install steps).

> I also want a method to do configuration without
> connecting a serial port at all.
> Only port needed is Ethernet.

See above.

> Your worry about "bad" ethernet configurations beeing
> propagated to users can be handled by refusing to boot
> if the ethernet address is within a certain range of values.
> U-Boot should always allow "experimental" ethaddr variables
> to be overwritten.

Please adhere to standards.

> It is not done right now, but it is probably not hard to implement.

U-Boot assumes that you install valid MAC addresses as required by the
standard. In addition to that, it follows the good old rule:

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,  because
that would also stop you from doing clever things."       - Doug Gwyn

> No, Atmel does not ship AT91 boards with a MAC address.
> They are shipped with the MAC address cleared.

No comment.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
In the future, you're going to get computers as prizes  in  breakfast
cereals.  You'll  throw  them out because your house will be littered
with them.                                             - Robert Lucky