[U-Boot-Users] RFC: hidden environment variables

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 23 23:37:53 CEST 2007

In message <462D0CE7.1060009 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> No, I just wanted a way for U-Boot code to store data in the environment without
> interference from the user.  The reason I want to use the environment is that it already
> exists, and it already has a mechanism for saving itself to flash.

Why do you worry about the "interference from  the  user"  part?  The
whole  idea  of  Free Software is thatit gives you all the freedom to
use the hardware and the software the way *you* want to use  it,  and
not  only  in  the restricted ways some manufacturer decided would be
good for you.

> So, the obvious question is, "well, what kind of data?".  I have an idea where the user
> can tell U-Boot how the board is jumpered, so that when it boots the kernel, it can modify
> the device tree on-the-fly based on the jumper settings.  I don't want to use the setenv
> command, however, to specify these jumper settings.  I want to use a new command that does
> some parameter checking and performs other operations.

Implement the command with all checkings yoiu want,  and  then  store
the information as a normal environment variable. Why hide it?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Unix is simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity."
					             - Dennis Ritchie