[U-Boot-Users] RFC: hidden environment variables

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Tue Apr 24 01:14:28 CEST 2007

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> If you don't want to break compatibility with  existing  systems  you
> ill  have  to  maintain a separate list anyway - either in the source
> code, or in the environment ;-)

Well, the point behind having hidden variables is that the source code which needs to use
a hidden variable can just call _do_setenv() (or whatever) and have it set an environment
variable that is hidden.  My preference would be that any variable that starts with a dot
(.) is hidden.  That way, the source code doesn't really need to have a separate list.  It
just names its variables with a dot.  The rest is automatic.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale