[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for a make option to include an additional stand alone program directory

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Apr 26 23:04:48 CEST 2007

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Timur Tabi" <timur at freescale.com>

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding going on here, and it's probably my fault for
not being clear.  The non-GPL firmware is not run on the host processor.  It is loaded
into the memory of an on-board device.

What I was considering is making a change to the build process so that when the user built
u-boot.bin, if the firmware binary were present, it would merge that into the u-boot.bin
binary, for convenience.

> If your version of u-boot has any knowledge about program locations
> within the closed
> binary, or vice versa, then you are most likely violating the GPL.

The binary is not being executed by U-Boot, it is being copied into device memory by
U-Boot via a loader application.  If the loader application is GPL, then I don't see how
this is a GPL violation.  However, if the loader is not GPL, then I'm not sure.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale