[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot Release Cycle - Merge Window now open.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 1 17:23:14 CEST 2007

Hello everybody,

one of the problems we have with the U-Boot  development  process  is
it's Release Cycle. To be precise, the non-existence of such a thing.

This will be  changed  now.  Like  with  many  other  things,  U-Boot
development  will  from  now  on  follow the Linux model of a release
cycle. That means:

* We will have U-Boot releases at a fixed interval.
* The release interval shall be (approximately) 2 months.
* Immediately following each release, there will be a "merge window".
  While this merge window is open, new features can be added to the
  U-Boot source tree.
* After the merge window closes, no new features may be added to
  allow for a release candidate phase which is intended to fix bugs
  and regressions.

To avoid having merge windows open for both U-Boot and Linux  at  the
same time, we will start with an offset of one month, i. e. the first
U-Boot  release following this new development cycle is scheduled for
end of September 2007.

The merge window for this release opens *NOW*.
It ends on August 17, 2007.

See also http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot/ReleaseCycle

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
C++ is the best example of second-system effect since OS/360.