[U-Boot-Users] Problem w/ GDB and u-boot

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Sat Aug 4 01:58:38 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm working on trying to debug my u-boot port to custom HW (mpc8347) using
GDB talking to a BDI2K, and I've run into a problem with using GDB to do
this.  Every time GDB enters or leaves a function, it trys to get a new
stack frame from the stack via the stack pointer (GPR1).  However, very
early on in u-boot there is of course no stack and therefore GPR1 isn't
valid as a stack pointer.  So when GDB tries to get the new stack frame it
complains about being uable to access memory at address blah.  That in and
of itself is not a big deal to me, but because GDB relies so heavily on
the stack frame nothing else will work.  I can't display registers or
variable, do listings or disassemblies, etc.  It doesn't "break" the code,
I can still single step and set breakpoints, but I can see anything. Which
pretty much makes GDB worthless to me as a tool for debugging early
u-boot.

Has anyone else experianced this?  If so, how did you get around it?

Thanks.

Bruce