[U-Boot-Users] [ARM] TI DaVinci (TMS320DM644x) support [1/5]

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Mon Aug 6 17:36:25 CEST 2007

Stefan Roese wrote:
> I noticed that you have one board directory "board/davinci". And from my
> understanding (I'm no DaVinci expert at all) a lot of CPU (SoC) code is
> included in this board directory. Stuff like nand-driver or lowlevel_init
> seem quite cpu-specific. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. But if my
> finding is correct, I would like to seem some of this cpu-specific stuff
> moved into the cpu directory and perhaps rename the board directory into
> something not that generic as "board/davinci". We usually name the board
> directory according to the name of the board itself. You are supporting 3
> different boards in this board directory right now. This makes it difficult
> to pick a name for such a board directory. But when more and more DaVince
> port will emerge, it will not be possible anymore to support them all in one
> board directory. It should be one board directory per board. Only *very*
> similar board should share a board directory.
>
> So I suggest to create 3 separate board directories and try to move the
> generic, cpu-specific stuff in the cpu directory.
>
> What do you think? Does this make sense?

I agree with Stefan. Although different boards using a davinci
processor, in the case a dm6446 ..., are similar, trying to capture
board differences in one common uboot board directory makes the addition
of new boards very difficult. The config/davinci.h in Sergey's latest
patch requires you set a #define for your board and then makes all
selections of config options based on this #define. I have tried adding
a new board hos patches and gave up when I kept losing track of where I
was in sets of nested #ifdef's.

I think Dirk did a good job trying to break up Sergey's work into
patches for review. The key thing to move forward is get a set of
patches accepted into uboot git so davinci users can start testing and
adding support for their own boards. Once we get the first patches in, I
think the process will go much smoother.

Philip

PS: I am not a uboot guru, but the people I work with think I am.