[U-Boot-Users] OT (probably) - Broke my host compiler - can't build tools directory

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 7 23:38:55 CEST 2007

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I'm a bit desperate, and not expert in
these things.

Perhaps not too wisely, just before the final stages of my project, I
decided to update my Gentoo Linux, as is often recommended (not my
timing, of course!).  In the process, gcc was updated from 3.4.4 to
3.4.6; unfortunately, something didn't get done completely right, and
now I get failures when trying to build u-boot.  Specifically, this:

    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/polychromix/u-boot/tools'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/include/stddef.h', needed by
`img2srec.o'.  Stop.

My PATH and GCC_PATH settings have been updated to point to
.../3.4.6/... and stddef.h does exist there.  I don't know how to tell
the u-boot make system point to the correct compiler.

If the resolution is not within u-boot, please accept my apologies!

Thanks,
-Bob