[U-Boot-Users] [Patch] Disable icache before call the firstline of kernel in do_bootelf().

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 8 17:54:05 CEST 2007

In message <200708081147.09111.rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org> you wrote:

> I think it is reasonable/prudent to turn off cache in all situations, on all
> architectures.

No, it is not. Some architectures /  operating  systems  may  require
cache(s)  being on.  Some  others may not care, except for boot speed
which in turn is something some of the customers do care about.

Finally, I don't want to fix a prblem where non exists.

If we know for sure that certain systems require caches disabeled,
then let's provide them this environment; but please leave all the
rest unchanged.

> Instruction and data caches in U-Boot are a great thing, since it decreases
> the time for a kernel or file system to be loaded, decompressed, but once
> U-Boot looses control (the jump to the unknown application), it shouldn't
> expect a return, or the hardware not to be changed by the app.

There is more than just Linux...

> go, bootm, boote, etc - should flush & turn off cache before the jump to the
> application code (should also turn off what limited interrupts are enabled)
> to be safe.

I disagree.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little  or  no  influence  on
society.                                                 - Mark Twain