[U-Boot-Users] Linux hangs just at the beginning

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Aug 8 18:54:52 CEST 2007

Hi Raul,

> U-Boot is already running in my board. I configured the Flash, SDRAM, SRAM,
> FEC (ethernet) and console. Apparently all is working and I can trace the
> code just before the call in order to transfer the control to Linux, that
> is:
>       (* kernel) (kbd, initrd_start, initrd_end, cmd_start, cmd_end);

Congrats.

> There it is supposed the U-Boot finishes its operation and then the Liinux
> kernel takes the control, but it hangs.

Are you sure it hangs or is it just that you don't see any output?
Are you sure you are passing a correct console parameter to Linux?
Search the archives, many people (including myself) already considered
a perfectly working Linux kernel to be dead just because they did not
see any console output...

> I did the Linux image with entry address and load address 0x0. U-Boot can
> check the Multi-image correctly.
> So I don't know where the problem is. I think the problem is in the Linux
> image, not in U-Boot, I can not assure it.
> I can't trace the Linux booting because it hans at the beginning, even the
> console is not initialized.

Hook up a debugger if at all possible.

> One question more,  I wouldn't have to configure the memories again, I
> mean, Linux doesn't participate in the configuration of the memories
> because U-Boot has already done, right?

If the parameter passing between U-Boot and the kernel works, then
yes, this is correct.

By the way, what kernel version on what arch are you trying to boot?

Cheers
  Detlev

--
"Win32 sucks so hard it could pull matter out of a Black Hole."
                                          -- Pohl Longsine