[U-Boot-Users] [OT] 10/100/1000 TSEC LED meanings

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Sun Aug 12 03:02:34 CEST 2007

Hi all,

Sorry for the off-topic post, but since everyone
here has probably had to deal with this question at
some point, and complain if the hardware guy didn't
even think about it, I figured someone would have
some insightful comments.

I'm building an MPC8349EA PowerQUICC II Pro board,
and I'm using the Marvell 88E1111 gigabit PHY, and
I'm now looking into the ethernet connector with
integrated magnetics and LEDs.

I can get parts with bicolor GREEN/YELLOW on the
left and right hand sides, and any combination of
single colors.

Which leads me to ask - what should I choose!?

Lets see, it would be useful to know whether the
link speed is 10/100/1000, so a bicolor LED for
off/green/yellow would cover that. Then how about
the other one, perhaps blinking for gree RX,
yellow for TX?

Is there even a standard for this?

What do people find is the most useful combination
of LED colors and blinking?

NOTE:
The Freescale MPC8349E/EA-MDS-PB boards use a single
green and single yellow to indicate the link speed.
I think thats kind of boring :(

Cheers,
Dave