[U-Boot-Users] RFC: Xilinx Spartan3 relocation code

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com
Wed Aug 15 16:24:59 CEST 2007

Hi Bruce,

I ran into the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Currently I implemented
dummy functions for things that I do not need. But I agree with you
that relocating NULL pointers makes no sense but fixing the FPGA code as
you suggested would be fine.

I can test your patch against the spartan2/3 serial slave code with my board.

Matthias

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 22:58, Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our custom board has a Spartan3 FPGA on it and we're using u-boot to
> program it.  I've come across an item (I won't call it an issue since
> there's a fairly simple work around) in the function Spartan3_sp_reloc in
> .../common/spartan3.c.  (Looks like the Spartan3_ss_reloc function has the
> same issue.)
>
> Some of the FPGA functions are optional.  That is to say the higher level
> code checks to see if the custom function pointer is non-NULL before it
> gets used.  The 'pre' function is a good example.  I don't have any need
> for a 'pre' function in my particular setup, so in my
> Xilinx_Spartan3_Slave_Parallel_fns structure I set that pointer to NULL.
> The item comes up in the relocate functions mentioned above.  They blindly
> add gd->reloc_offset to the function pointer values in the list, making
> the relocated 'pre' function pointer non-NULL.  The 'fpga load' command
> then tries to execute the 'pre' function and causes the system to crash
> because it's trying to execute bogus code.
>
> The simple work around is to declare a function for 'pre' that does
> nothing.  To me this defeats the purpose of the non-NULL checking that
> other code does and forces the user to add code that does nothing for
> them.  I like the non-NULL checking because it's robust and allows you to
> only include the code you actually need.
>
> So, to the RFC: I think the code that does the relocation of the FPGA
> description structures should check for NULL before adding
> gd->reloc_offset to the function pointers.  I think it keeps things in
> line with the original intent of the authors of the FPGA and makes the
> whole thing more robust.  Comments?
>
> I'm happy to make the changes and submit a patch, but I can only test for
> one case: the Spartan 3 parallel load method.
>
> Bruce

Dipl.-Ing. Matthias Fuchs             esd electronic system design gmbh
http://www.esd-electronics.com                    Vahrenwalder Str. 207
phone: +49-511-37298-0, fax: -68                30165 Hannover, Germany