[U-Boot-Users] Please pull u-boot-mpc83xx.git mpc83xx branch

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Mon Aug 20 14:10:08 CEST 2007

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <20070817093906.05cca34d.kim.phillips at freescale.com> you wrote:
>> Wolfgang, please do a (and you can cut-n-paste this):
>>
>> git-pull git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot-mpc83xx.git mpc83xx
>
> Done.
>

>> [note the mpc83xx branch]
>
> May I please ask that you use branches for other stuff, and allow me
> to merge from the "trunk"? Thanks.

Hi Wolfgang and The List,

In the u-boot-fdt repo, I've been using the "fdt" branch for "ready to
merge" patches and have advocated standardizing on a "merge" branch for
"ready to merge" patches in the TWiki (as well as a "testing" branch for
"merge candidate" patches).
<http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/UBoot/CustodianGitTrees#Tips_for_maintaining_custodian_t>

Based on your request above, it would appear that we have not convinced
you that pulling from a branch is a Good Thing[tm].  If that is the
case, the alternate technique I would advocate would be...

* Maintain the "ready to merge" patches in the master branch (per your
request).

* Track the main u-boot repository via a branch "u-boot" (picking a name
arbitrarily)

This would still allow the rebasing by doing a periodic pull of the
master repo into the "u-boot" branch and then rebasing the "master" on
the "u-boot" branch.  I have not tried this, but I don't see any reason
why it would not work.

The "u-boot" branch would not need to be pushed back to the denx.de
repository, so it would cut down the number of published branches by one
(generally a 100% reduction ;-).  I would still advocate using
work-in-progress (e.g. "testing") branch(es) that are pushed back to
denx.de as the need arises.  I have not felt a need myself, but I can
see a place for it for patches that introduce major changes that may
take time to mature.

Trivia:
-------
One of the reasons I've advocated using a branch to pull from is because
linux does it this way, although their methodology and organization of
their repositories is somewhat different.  They generally create a
special branch for Linus to pull from (a quick search on gmane.org shows
"for-linus", "release", "merge", "upstream-linus", "upstream",... so
there isn't much consistency there to model our methodology after).

An argument for using the "master" branch is that outstanding patches
are easier to find and view via gitweb.  Figuring out where to click to
view a branch is not obvious, it requires scrolling down to the bottom
of the page.  We've had that issue on the email list and I have to
sympathize because it threw me for a minute myself the first time I
tried to see changes that were in a branch.

What is the wisdom of the crowd[1]?

Best regards,
gvb

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds>