[U-Boot-Users] Please pull u-boot-mpc83xx.git mpc83xx branch

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 20 15:47:04 CEST 2007

In message <46C984A0.5030602 at smiths-aerospace.com> you wrote:

> Based on your request above, it would appear that we have not convinced
> you that pulling from a branch is a Good Thing[tm].  If that is the
> case, the alternate technique I would advocate would be...

Pulling from a branch is OK with me, iff

* I know about it
* the branch to pull from remains static, i. e. it doesn't change with
  every other pull request.

However, I think that what I pull from is considered themost  stable,
best  tested  branch,  so to me it makes sense if this is the "trunk"
where everybody else is pulling from who is interested in  a  certain
tree.

> An argument for using the "master" branch is that outstanding patches
> are easier to find and view via gitweb.  Figuring out where to click to
> view a branch is not obvious, it requires scrolling down to the bottom
> of the page.  We've had that issue on the email list and I have to
> sympathize because it threw me for a minute myself the first time I
> tried to see changes that were in a branch.

That's my thinking - if you tell someone "get this from the xxx
custodian repo", they will most not be looking for branches.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Always try to do things in chronological order; it's  less  confusing
that way.