[U-Boot-Users] Some RFCs about U-Boot's the generic FPGA support

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com
Thu Aug 23 09:41:57 CEST 2007

Hi Bruce,

On Wednesday 22 August 2007 19:09, Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:
> I agree with all of this with the exception of totally removing the bit
> mirroring in fpga_loadbitstream().  If this were going in only a single
> product or it was being done for the first timeI would be all over that,
> however we know for a fact that there's at least one board out in the wild
> that relies on that bit mirroring to take place (another un-enlightened HW
> engineer no doubt ;)  ).  Flat out removing the code will break that board
> and I'm not inclined to face the wrath of the maintainer.  If we can
> figure out who depends on that and get them to push the bit mirroring down
> to the call back function where it rightfully belongs than I agree remove
> the code.  Otherwise I think it needs to conditionally stay.

there is only one known board (GEN860) out there that uses the FPGA sub system.
That's why I put Keith as its maintainer on cc.
As Wolfgang stated we should not care about U-Boot ports that not
made public and are not part of the U-Boot repository.
I will submit patches for two new boards that will use the fpga subsystem
as soon as this discussion has calmed down (and I did some more testing).

Matthias