[U-Boot-Users] hi what is this -MQ option for?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Mon Dec 3 15:14:42 CET 2007

Hi Yusuf,

> i have put patch to port u-boot to mc68360, now when i am trying to
> compile u-boot i am getting this error
> m68k-elf-gcc: cache_8xx.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: cache.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: codec.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: cpu.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: dsp.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: ether.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: i2c.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: memory.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: post.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: rtc.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: spr.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: sysmon.o: No such file or directory
> m68k-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-MQ'
> m68k-elf-gcc: tests.o: No such file or directory
>
> now i want to know,why is this -MQ option used,it is in
> $(TOPDIR)/rules.mk,i am using cross compilation tool chain gcc version
> 2.95.3,does this compiler is too old,thats why not able to recognise
> the option....please let me know,how can i proceed

This option is used to get gcc not to compile code, but to generate
dependency rules includable from makefiles.  Obviously your compiler is
too old, so you need to update your crosstoolchain.

Apart from this dependency problem I am pretty sure that 2.95.3 would
surely trip in other places as well and is thus very likely a waste of
time.

Best wishes
  Detlev

--
Man sei weder unzufrieden mit sich selbst - denn das waere Kleinmut - noch
selbstzufrieden - denn das waere Dummheit.