[U-Boot-Users] Can U-boot Autodetect arch/ppc versus arch/powerpc from info in the uImage?

Darcy Watkins DWatkins at tranzeo.com
Mon Dec 3 19:49:53 CET 2007

Hello,

I have looked at some of the u-boot code for booting up a linux kernel.
It appears that the determination of whether or not to make use of
flattened device tree (fdt) in the boot is a compile time selection.
For the ppc4xx family of processors, linux kernels are currently built
as arch/ppc but there is work-in-progress to move it to arch/powerpc.

Can we determine during runtime from info in the uImage whether the
linux kernel was built as arch/ppc or as arch/powerpc and then select
the fdt support accordingly?

It will soon be possible to build a U-Boot for one or the other (for
ppc4xx family).  I think I will need to implement a U-Boot that will
support both since we currently build as arch/ppc but will need to
support upgrades to arch/powerpc base kernels down the road.  For this,
I think we need the U-Boot to be able to support both but detect which
one the uImage was built under.

In the image.h file, there appears to only be one selection for powerpc
so there will likely be need for some other "magic" to make this work.
Has anyone checked into this before, or come up with a workable
solution?

Regards,

Darcy