[U-Boot-Users] Problems in making Ram disk image

michael.firth at bt.com michael.firth at bt.com
Thu Dec 6 10:36:44 CET 2007

[mailto:u-boot-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
ravic at dynalogindia.com
> Sent: 06 December 2007 06:08
> To: u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [U-Boot-Users] Problems in making Ram disk image
>

> Dear friends,
>
> I am facing some problems in making initrd image for at91rm9200.I am
using this command,as per mentioned in README file of u-boot-1.1.6.

> tools/mkimage -n 'Simple Ramdisk Image' -a arm -0x00000000 linux -T
ramdisk -C gzip -d /ArmLinux/images/SIMPLE-ramdisk.image.gz/
examples/simple-initrd

> tools/mkimage: invalid load address arm
>
> My loading address is 0x00000000 <http://>
>
> Ravi

How much investigation have you done of this problem yourself? My guess
would be none.

>From the output of 'mkimage -h':
Usage: mkimage -l image
          -l ==> list image header information
       mkimage [-x] -A arch -O os -T type -C comp -a addr -e ep -n name
-d data_file[:data_file...] image
          -A ==> set architecture to 'arch'
          -O ==> set operating system to 'os'
          -T ==> set image type to 'type'
          -C ==> set compression type 'comp'
          -a ==> set load address to 'addr' (hex)
          -e ==> set entry point to 'ep' (hex)
          -n ==> set image name to 'name'
          -d ==> use image data from 'datafile'
          -x ==> set XIP (execute in place)

This strongly suggests that the section of your command line '-a arm
-0x00000000 linux' is seriously wrong.

I think it should be '-A arm -a 0x00000000 -O linux', but you will want
to check these match your actual application of mkimage.

Regards

Michael