[U-Boot-Users] Can U-boot Autodetect arch/ppcversusarch/powerpc from info in the uImage?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Dec 9 20:28:16 CET 2007

In message <010601c83a89$8b22bfa0$02ac10ac at Jocke> you wrote:

> > I hereby NAK this patch for 3 reasons:
> >
> > 1) The patch does not solve a problem. Instead of harwiring the
> >    address, you can just pass it as argument to the bootm command
> >    which seems more straightforward to me
>
> It is not a hardwired address, it is a function call which returns an address to
> the OF tree of your choise. You can define it to an address too if you like.

Thanks for the correction. But actually it makes little difference;
it's a static thingy as we can't pass (varying) arguments to it. Or am
I missing something?

> > 3) With the patch applied and CFG_OF_TREE defined, there is no way to
> >    boot a non-OF kernel, thus breaking backward compatibility.
>
> hmm, backwards compatibility. Current u-boot breaks backwards compatibility
> with older u-boots that didn't require an OF tree to be passed as an argument to
> bootm. Dunno when that happened but 1.1.4 has

In which way? We use OF-enabled versions of U-Boot on several boards
that are in use both with old (2.4.25) and new (2.6.23.X) non-OF
kernels, and with OF-enabled kernels as well. There are problems,
indeed, in certain constellations using multi-file images, but as long
as you use separate kernel, ramdisk and/or dtb images it works fine.

>   extern const unsigned char oftree_dtb[];
>   extern const unsigned int oftree_dtb_len;
> That needs to be defined in board code and holds the OF tree.

These lines were removed by this commit: