[U-Boot-Users] RFC: New U-boot image format

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Wed Dec 12 13:38:06 CET 2007

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <475EE3AE.6060102 at ge.com> you wrote:

[snip]

>>> 				os type, cpu architecture properties
>>> 				data load address
>>> 				entry points for executable images
>>>
>>> 	  Note: the above list is considered *draft* and open to discussion
>> Which properties are new inventions?  Data compression, timestamps, OS
>> Type, CPU arch, data load address, and entry point?  Not a bad thing,
>> just trying to understand how much we are extending.
>
> All of this already exists, but in a static way.
>
> New is: ability to chose checksum method; ability to compine  several
> blobs into one image in a structured way, so building and booting the
> equivalent  of  a  multifile  image  with  any combination of kernel,
> ramdisk and dtb blobs can be done in a clean way.

Ahh, my question wasn't clear.  The intended question was, which of
these properties are new OF (IEEE-1275) or "existing linux kernel"
*properties* (I didn't intend to ask which are new capabilities).

For instance, how to specify an address already exists, obviously, but I
suspect a property "data load address" is new.

The intent behind the question was thinking about how big of a
documentation job this will be.

[snip]

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk