[U-Boot-Users] MPC boot sequence.

Muneet eoi.muneet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 15:24:13 CET 2007

Hello Friends,

I am facing some problem in understanding the booting sequence of MPC8323E.

The MPC refernce manual says:-
-- At PORESET, the processor loads RCW from Local Bus EEPROM or I2C EEPROM.
After decoding the RCWH, it jumps to the boot code location found in it.--

The MPC8323E-RDB memory map is as follows:-

0x0000_0000 - 0x01FF_FFFF  -- DDR

2GB  -- PCI
      -- PCI

0xE000_0000 - 0xE01F_FFFF -- IMMR
0xFE00_0000 - 0xFEFF_FFFF -- Local Bus EEPROM(Flash 16 MB)

RCWH - A060_0000
RCWL - 4205_0083

My understanding is as follows:--

1. At PORESET, the processor loads RCW from Local Bus Flash. The address at
that time is 0x0000_0000.
2. After reading the BMS and ROMLOC of RCWH, it locates to the address
0x0000_0100 and here it finds "uboot", the execution proceeds and the
LBLAWBAR0 is programmed with 0xFE00_0000. thus Flash relocation occurs and
then the kernel is uncompressed to DDR if allowed to boot.

If this is Ok, or there is some flaw in it..?

Thanks..