[U-Boot-Users] Pull request: u-boot-freebsd

Haavard Skinnemoen hskinnemoen at atmel.com
Mon Dec 17 13:39:26 CET 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:06:42 +0100
Rafal Jaworowski <raj at semihalf.com> wrote:

>       API for external applications

I'm sorry, but I really hate this stuff.

  * What happens if changes to the API is needed? Will be keep adding
    new "system calls" every time a new limitation with the existing
    interface is found (like Linux does)?
  * In other words, do we really _want_ a "stable API"?
  * What's the rationale for the "syscalls" this patch exports, and are
    you absolutely sure the prototypes are sane? If you want a stable
    API, you need to get it right the first time.
  * Both the API core and the examples are littered with external
    declarations. Can we please put such things in header files where it
    belongs?
  * All syscalls are implemented as vararg functions, so it's difficult
    to tell what arguments they take and whether or not they are being
    used correctly from the other side of the "syscall" line. A
    standard set of wrappers and associated header files would help, of
    course.
  * How is this really different from the existing jumptable stuff? It
    looks like it's just a different set of exported functions. Will
    the crufty old jumptable interface be removed at some point?
    Presumably, the new interface is superior, so it should be. Right?

Haavard