[U-Boot-Users] MPC5121 (and MPC5200) ethernet

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 18 10:38:23 CET 2007

In message <10d674cb0712180111n6199b235i9611fc97dda26697 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> We're using an MPC5200 with U-Boot 1.1.5. If I set the environment
> variable skipnetcheck=y the ethernet check is skipped until it is
> needed, for instance when using tftp. The code is in lib_ppc/board.c.

This is obviously a local hack in you version of the code.

> If it is available in your code you could try if it suits your need.

No, suich an approach doesn't make sense. If the code gets changed,
then please not with such a quick and dirty hack but with a real fix /
cleanup.

> One thing to have in mind though is that after Linux is up and running
> you have to initialize the hardware. I think a ping from your board to
> an external ip-address is ok. Someone maybe have a better idea how to
> do this?

Oops. What do you mean? Linux has always to initialize the hardware.
No suich thing as a "ping" is needed to do that.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
As a general rule, the freedom of any people can  be  judged  by  the
volume of their laughter.