[U-Boot-Users] RFC: New U-boot image format

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 18 17:12:50 CET 2007

In message <4767E487.8020103 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> I have a request for a new feature.  I think we need image-format plug-ins.
> That is, we need a way for a plug-in to register itself with the main format
> processing code.  When the processing code sees a blob that it doesn't
> understand, it calls the plug-in to handle it.

This sounds like a good idea as it allows the code to deal with new or
customized image formats.

> I would need from the multi-image format is:
>
> 1) A way to package my blob.

OK.

> 2) A way to pass the address of the blob to the QE code
>
> For option #2, setting an environment variable would be the easiest.  To do

NAK. Using an envuironment variable is definitely not  a  good  idea,
and  probably  not  sufficient.  Assume  the situation where you have
"autostart" set to "yes" and use  DHCP  to  download  and  start  the
image,  or  where  you use "tftp" followed by a "bootm" command to do
the same. In both cases there is no direct "hook" to do what you  ask
for  - ther eis no sane place where the envrionment variable would be
set (in the network code?) nor where it would be taken into account.

Your initial comment about  image-specific  plugins  (that  could  be
specified  for  and  run with specific commands like iminfo or bootm)
makes much more sense to me.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Contrary to popular belief, thinking does not cause brain damage.