[U-Boot-Users] Pull request: u-boot-freebsd

Haavard Skinnemoen hskinnemoen at atmel.com
Wed Dec 19 10:08:44 CET 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:10:59 -0800
Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt at mac.com> wrote:

> > It's not that I'm really objecting to the new interface -- it does
> > seem
> > to be more well-designed than the old jumptable stuff -- but it's just
> > that I don't understand why you need this functionality in the first
> > place, just to be able to boot an OS. When you have a kernel image as
> > well as possibly other related images loaded into memory, along with a
> > device tree providing detailed information about the hardware, why do
> > you need a syscall interface on top of everything?
>

> [apologies: I appear to be very verbose this monday morning...]

That makes two of us, doesn't it? ;-)

<snip lots of useful information about how the FreeBSD loader works>

Thanks for explaining this. I think I understand better why this new
interface is needed now.

However, I think this sort of information would be very useful to have
in the changelog -- adding a new external interface is not something
that should be done lightly, and a good explanation of _why_ the new
interface is needed is IMO very important to have on the record.

Haavard