[U-Boot-Users] RFC: New U-boot image format

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Dec 21 16:17:40 CET 2007

In message <476BD5E9.3030601 at semihalf.com> you wrote:

> > This is no argument for not  creating  some  more  centralized  image
> > processing code, or is it?
>
> No, it's not. But I have doubts whether bootm is a good place for it.
> Maybe we should rather go for new generic command, something like
> 'imrun' or similar. And maybe even, move standalone application

It certainly makes sense to factor out this code, but I'm not sure yet
if a separate command will be needed.

> execution from bootm to a dedicated hook that'll be available from
> 'imrun'. This way, bootm would become strict OS booting command,

But "bootm" already *is* a strict OS booting command.

I'm not sure what  youre  reference  to  standalone  applications  is
supposed  to  mean  in  this contexzt - but SA apps are NOT booted by
bootm, they get started using the "go" command.

> potentially also available from 'imrun' via a hook.

...or vice versa.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
But the only way of discovering the limits  of  the  possible  is  to
venture a little way past them into the impossible.
                         - _Profiles of the Future_ (1962; rev. 1973)
                  ``Hazards of Prophecy: The Failure of Imagination''