[U-Boot-Users] Please pull 85xx

Andy Fleming afleming at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 22:49:33 CET 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 5:38 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.4.61.0712112338550.25073 at ld0175-tx32.am.freescale.net>
> you wrote:
> > This includes current changes in the libfdt testing branch, as they are
> > required for the 85xx changes to work.  If we need to rework this a
> > different way, let me know.  I'm not afraid of rebasing.
>
> I really hate such pull requests  that  include  changes  from  other
> repositories like yours is doing.
>
> If you need the libfdt stuff, fine, please use it for your work, but
> do not include this into the branch you request me to pull from.
>
> Please keep the custodian's repositories separated and  allow  me  to
> decide what to pull, and when.

I understand, completely.  It's a messy problem.  I made sure to alert you
to this so that you would have the opportunity to hold off on pulling my
tree in the event you wanted more time to look at the FDT tree.

However, there's no way I could have applied any of the other patches that
were 85xx-specific without those changes--they were dependent.  In the
future, I can choose to reject or hold off on applying any patches which
don't apply to the current custodian repository.  But the drawback is that
people who are working on the cutting edge will have to self-maintain their
patches longer.

My intent in pulling in the fdt changes and Kumar's patches was to have the
custodian tree represent the current state-of-the-art of 85xx development,
thus allowing Kumar to move ahead, and allowing others to build off what he
has done.  If you had decided to reject any of the FDT patches, I would have
happily (if not cheerfully) rebased my tree, and either fixed up the latest
patches on my own, or requested that Kumar resubmit.  This seemed to me to
be a reasonable way forward: it allows development to continue, while
keeping the main u-boot tree free from development work.

Anyway, I'm fine with whatever policy we want to follow.  But if this
happens again, I'd like to know what to do.   :)  I can always just create a
side tree which has the latest state of development, while I wait for any
dependent changes to propagate into the mainline.

Andy