[U-Boot-Users] Atmel DataFlash hooks.

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Feb 1 00:50:56 CET 2007

On 1/31/07, Ulf Samuelsson <ulf at atmel.com> wrote:
> ons 2007-01-31 klockan 22:55 +0100 skrev Wolfgang Denk:
> There is a very big difference in "cleaning" something up
> and removing most of the functionality,because
> You dont use it, and find it irritating to see it in the code.

I have no intention of removing the functionality.  However, I do not
believe that it belongs in the memory access commands.  There should
be an appropriate command set for doing read/write/compare against
devices which does not pretend that it is mapped onto memory

Nor have I any intention of pushing patches to remove the DataFlash
hooks right now.  I will make wait until an appropriate replacement
has been accepted and tested before posting patches to remove the
cmd_mem hooks.

As for the prefix option; I do agree that it can be implemented that
way, but I think that a separate command set for device access is a
better UI (for many of the reasons discussed in this thread).  Since
Wolfgang is also of this opinion, I'm going to go ahead and start
drafting a command set.

What remains to be discussed is the process of depreciating the
cmd_mem hooks to minimize the end user impact.  ie. Format of
replacement commands, How long will the transition period be, how will
the changes be documented, what order do patches get applied, etc.

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.